Sunday, April 02, 2006

After a 6 year old birthday party at "Libby Lu"

Has anyone noticed that there is something going on with girls these days? I mean, I played with dolls and Barbies until I was in middle school. Now days, my daughter's kindergarten class is full of "little" girls who breeze right by the toy aisle to pick out some tight, lowriders with a lacy stretch top complete with some saying like "It's all about me" or "Boys stink" or better yet, "I'm a brat" emblazoned across the chest. Exactly what are we trying to teach our children here? That being an egotistical, spoiled brat is something to advertise? That boys are really inferior and its okay to say mean things about them? Frankly, it scares me. Hallie is one of the 2 or 3 girls in her class who couldn't care less about her clothing and has two pairs of shoes...Sunday shoes and tennis shoes, and neither of them have a 3 inch heel. She wears cute "girly" clothes that I pick out (for the most part), and as long as they are comfortable and include some form of pink, doesn't care. She is more interested in taking care of her baby dolls, riding her scooter or bike or painting another masterpiece for our rapidly decreasing wall space. Maybe it's because I have limited her TV watching to educational shows only, or maybe it's because I am not really into fashion. I don't know, I only know that I want my little girl to stay a little girl until she's not one any more. That's another thing that bothers me. So many of the parents encourage these interests. They actually want their daughters to dress and act like a rock star. They are constantly asking me "How do you get her to dress in such cute little outfits?" I just respond by saying, "because that's all I buy." I just don't get it. Does anyone else out there see this trend or is it just me?

For those of you who don't know, Libby Lu is a store for girls where they do makeovers, sell teeny little outfits, fake hair and various body jewelry. It is mostly for preteen girls, but several 5 year olds are having their birthday parties there.

Here is Hallie after her makeover. Yes, that is blue lip gloss and eye shadow. Thankfully, she refused the fake gem stickers on her face, however we couldn't get around the fake ponytail thing on the back of her head.


Here is the entire group after the "fashion" show. Notice Hallie at the top with a "I'm not really with them" look on their face. I am not including pictures of the fashion show as they include many of the girls performing some very grown up moves in their mid-drift baring outfits. Hallie and her close friends tried to hide behind them.

Okay, I am not trying to throw out a "better than thou" tone here. I don't think these girls are bad, nor are their moms. Many of them are good friends of mine. Maybe I am the one doing something wrong. Who knows? It just seems like they grow up fast enough, why should we rush it? Trust me, I know from experience that rearing teenagers is difficult enough. I am certainly not ready to start it now with my 6 year old.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Jana,
I'm here I don't know what is going on! As for you wanting to keep your little girl safe from the worldly things such as totally unmodest clothing... well I agree with you 100%.
As Christians we are to follow the teachings of the Bible and it clearly states that as girls and women we are to COVER what we have not flaunt it!
You are so right to want to protect your daughter from such things.
Keep up the good work!

Melissa said...

Your post reminds me of how thankful I am to have a boy! ;) The clothes I see little girls wearing now amazes me. I see small girls wearing clothes my parents would have forbidden when I was in high school. I completely agree with your comment about Hallie wearing the clothes you buy her. So many parents give into their kids and complain about what they were--but the parents are the ones making the purchases! Stop spending money on the risque clothes, people.

Good for you for making sure your daughter will know that values and ethics extend into apparel as well. It just goes back to being in the world, not of it.

Jana said...

I'm in total agreement with you! My 6-year-old niece is somewhat into clothes but nothing risque. My sister tries to "dress" her but she's such a tomboy that she just doesn't care. But she doesn't wear the belly shirts or anything like that and no make-up. My mother would KILL my sister if she let her wear that stuff.