Tuesday, May 09, 2006

The Door is Never Closed

I cannot express how much God is blessing me through this book…

“Why is it such good news? I never need to fear and say, "Oh, I dare not go to God, because I just told a lie. I just lost my temper. I just deceived that person. Oh, I have no right to ask God to help me now because I failed in that task." If my righteousness comes by my works, then Satan can bar the door to God practically all the time, because I am never doing as much as I feel I should. I am never as good as I know I ought to be. I haven't achieved my super-ego. I haven't lived up to my own standards of what I feel is right. Because I have failed to achieve those ideal standards, Satan will use my failure to keep me from coming to God. "You have no right to ask God to help you when you have just failed Him again. You know your action is displeasing to God, yet you did it anyhow. Now you're in trouble and now you want God to help you. You think He is going to listen to you? No way!"
Satan can always bar the door to God if he can cause me to look within myself and at myself. But if I am looking to Jesus Christ and I realize that I am accounted righteous because of my faith in Christ, Satan can never bar the door.
Certainly, I am not yet all that God wants me to be. Far from it! But thank God, I am not what I was. Even in my present state of imperfection, God looks upon me and accounts me righteous and holy. That is why I never want to be caught anywhere except in Christ Jesus. We must never see ourselves apart from Him.”

From, Why Grace Changes Everything, By Chuck Smith, http://www2.calvarychapel.com/?show=Resources.Ebooks.whygracechangeseverything

Legalism…I have been bombarded with it my entire life. Yes, I was taught about the grace of God and the plan of salvation, but so much focus was on my behavior, my actions, my SIN, that I always felt this barrier had been placed between me and my Savior. I knew that my salvation was through God’s grace and not by my actions, but knowing that and living it are two different things. I was always taught that yes, grace saved me, but after that it was up to me to live according to certain rules to stay close to God. If I failed in this (which, of course I would) God would be disgusted with me. Not that I wouldn’t still be saved, but that, like an angry person (once again, humanizing God), He just wouldn’t be on speaking terms with me. This set me up for complete failure and alienation from the thing I need more than anything else…communication with God. Would He really do this? Save me and then withhold His companionship because I misbehaved? Of course not, but that is what I believed. I believed that His grace was only good enough to get me through the gates of Heaven. To be close to Him and receive His blessings, I had to live up to a standard of righteousness. But it is through GRACE that we are saved AND that we commune with God. He looks on us as pure and on our faith as sufficient. The door is never closed, no matter what we struggle with, if our faith is in Him. If I can accept this, I know peace will be mine and Satan can no longer prevent me from going to our Lord for any reason at any time. Who knows what God can do with me if I make myself available?
Seeing myself apart from God, even as a Christian, was self-inflicted punishment for my inability to be perfect…a punishment that goes against the very essence of salvation. God saved us because He wanted to be close to us, not so that we could spend the rest of our lives trying and failing to earn what we can never deserve. We must never draw that line between ourselves and our Savior. It is a line Satan will dance upon.

2 comments:

Jana said...

You know, the internet is such a beautiful thing.

Never before have I felt such a connection to other Christians as I have in the past few months in reading your blog and the blog of my friend, Danica. I've never really had Christian friends my age before...friends that felt so at ease with discussing their struggles in the faith and their relationship with Christ. In many ways I feel more at ease with MYSELF and MY relationship with Christ because I realize now that my fears and doubts and struggles are not exclusive to me. That there are others who share them.

You can't possibly know what a blessing you are to me and how much I value the time I spend reading this blog and sharing these insights with you. Know with certainty that you are a living testimony to a sister in Christ who desperately needed (and needs) that testimony.

:-)

Rachel Richard said...

I second that! :o) Your writings are so honest and thought provoking. It challenges me in my daily walk with God. Keep it up!