Monday, November 13, 2006

To blog or not to blog...

...that is the question. I'm entering that season of the year where I barely have time to shower, much less write random observations on life. I thought if I started Christmas shopping in August that I would actually have time to savor my favorite time of the year. I am starting to think I should've started in January. No matter how hard I try, I always get overwhelmed with Christmas. Don't misunderstand...I love Christmas and all its wrangling, wrapping and pseudo-dramas. I am not one of these people that dread the final two months of our calendar year like dental work, even if being around my extended family is easier with a little nitrous oxide (joke). I just feel pressured to make IT happen for my family. What IT is I'm not quite sure. I'll let you know, though, when I figure it out. In the meantime, I am trying to decide if Hallie is old enough to build a gingerbread house yet, or if Ethan will be able to manage his Christmas performance without kicking over expensive sound equipment onstage (don't ask), or if Alex would appreciate luggage as a gift or would that just be disappointing? *sigh*

I apparently still have some work to do.

2 comments:

Jana said...

What's that old saying? Do the best you can do and that's all you CAN do...or something like that. I'm sorely lacking on the accuracy of old sayings. Mostly cuz I was only half listening. hehehe

Mostly, I think the IT is making precious memories with your family. They won't remeber the (insert gift name here) twenty years from now but they'll remember how they felt and how much fun they had and how loved you made them feel. It's all in the memories, the emotion, the love. Not the gift or the kicking over of expensive sound equipment (which could make a cute anecdote years from now. hehehe) And even if the gingerbread house fell down two minutes into the project, it's more the time spent with Mommy doing something special and fun than the end product.

Just my two cents. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Sorry it took me so long to read and comment on this post--the pregnancy blahs have kept me away from blogging too much.

Looking back on my childhood, I can honestly say I don't remember half of the things I got for Christmas gifts. I do remember the spirit of the season--and that spirit was never too thought out or pre-planned in our house. We just had fun and tried to remember the real reason we were celebrating--the birth of our Savior. We made cookies, but if they didn't turn out we didn't let that get us down. We had at least had fun trying. As far as public calamaties go, one of the funniest memories from my youth was the year I was singing with 2 other girls in the church pageant. I was nervous and kept twisting my skirt around my hand--until I was flashing the wholle church. of course, it wasn't so funny then, but now it's one of those cute childhood stories.

Having lost a parent I can say that I'm glad that every thing didn't always go smoothly. I know that sounds strange, but we honestly made more memories when things went a little awry and we had to improvise that when things were perfect. Those are the times I reflect on with humor or fondness--because they were the most human.