Thursday, July 14, 2005

"Because It's Bro-o-ken..."


You know, its funny. When I bought the "Mr. Incredible" sandals for my 2 and a half year old son, my first thought was "Oh my gosh! They actually have his size! He's going to love these!". I had already been through the Disney store 4 or 5 times in an attempt to find something that A)Didn't have a princess on it, B)Wasn't made for an infant or a preteen, and C)Was actually included in the semi-annual sale. After deciding against a Buzz Lightyear telescoping sword and Incredibles' roller skates because they seemed like a sure trip to the ER, I bought the shoes. What did I actually get? Well, um...a trip to the ER.

It began innocent enough. I broke (pun actually is intended) out the shoes Monday afternoon as a reward for picking up his toys without being told for several days in a row. As he stomped around excitedly in the velcro-laden contraptions, I didn't have a worry in the world. I felt only a warm, motherly sense of accomplishment...I was protecting my child's feet from the elements and making him happy at the same time. A few hours and one tumble later while looking at my son's swollen ankle, it felt more like a cold sense of motherly failure. Hmmm, that sword with the cool telescoping action is looking pretty good right now. At least a Grade 1 concussion only lasts about 15 minutes.

Well, the 4 hour trip to the Emergency Room consisted of X-rays and a splint. The last 4 days have consisted of a frustrated toddler who wants to run and jump and a frustrated mom who also wants to run (away) and jump (off a bridge). Okay, the last part was a joke, but seriously, my left arm is about to fall off due to lugging my 30 pound child in it while I care for a 4 and 5 year old with the other. Well, it has gotten my creative juices flowing and I have said all this to announce that my next book will be entitled "101 Ways to Make Your Toddler Stay Seated and Happy" with chapters like "How to Integrate Pieces From 3 Different Puzzles to Make Your Self-Portrait" and "Snacks: How to Make Them Last for Hours". We will be selling them in all Pediatric Radiology Departments :)

Ethan is doing great and believe it or not, so am I! Hallie and Marshall have been so sweet and helpful. I love these kids!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is not only hilarious, but extremely well-written. I am impressed!