Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Yuck

That's how I am feeling. Just yucky. I am in the process of coming down on my Lexapro (SSRI drug used to treat depression, anxiety and OCD) and no one bothered to mention that I would experience withdrawal symptoms. I have been on various SSRI's since the age of 18 and Lexapro is by far the most effective. It's short half-life makes it very fast acting, but also can cause withdrawal within 8 hours of missing the first dose. After stabilizing my anxieties, I wanted to come down from 20 mg to 10. All is well until about 10 days later when I can't eat, feel nauseated, am dizzy and experiencing mood swings. Trust me, its enough to make me think I really needed the 20 after all. I know it's something my body just has to endure to adjust to the lower level of medication, but its not fun. Seriously, it's like being pregnant without the glow, except I'm losing weight instead of gaining it. Weight I really can't afford to lose. Trust me, I don't really like having a BMI of 17.5. I don't like having ankles the size of my husband's wrist. When I wear sandals they look like toothpicks in bricks (shoe size-9.5). I actually liked the way I was looking for a while because the increased dose put some meat on my bones, but I don't think that will last. Oh well...

2 comments:

Jana said...

(((Jana))) Prayers for you feeling better, soon.

As for the weight, one thing I've learned is, we all have our body issues to face. Mine just happens to be on the opposite end of the spectrum from yours. Doesn't mean that yours isn't just as serious. Being too thin is just as dangerous as being overweight.

Hope it all stabalizes soon.

Rachel Richard said...

How are you feeling today? Any better? I'm praying for renewed strength for you!

"...but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 4031 (NIV)