Friday, April 21, 2006

Still Here...

What an absolutely crappy 24 hours. After spending all day yesterday packing for our trip, we ended up on the side of the interstate for over 3 hours last night. After waiting out a tornado and finally heading out of town around 5:00 our RV broke down about 2 hours into our trip. It was very scary...some weird noises followed by losing all power. Trust me, it's quite difficult to steer something that weighs 60,000 pounds without power steering or power brakes, especially when you are going 70 mph. For a minute, it looked like we were going into the trees, but Randy was able to coast it onto the shoulder. We waited forever for the state troopers and finally a tow truck big enough and then we had to wait for them to load it. All this time 18 wheelers were flying past us going 80 mph and each time it rocked the RV so badly I was afraid we would roll into the ditch. Anyway, we had to unload our stuff out of the RV and into the Saturn and drive back home. We walked back in the door at 1:00 this morning. Of course the kids were beside themselves by this time and frankly so were we. We went to bed immediately but were awakened 4 hours later by a thunderstorm complete with hail, severe lightning and four little feet running to our bed. I think we all dozed off a little after that but not much. Right now I am exhausted and sad. I was really looking forward to seeing Sally and her family. So much for our mini vacation.

I know, I know...it could've been a lot worse and I am thankful that we are safe. We really did end up making the best of it and having a decent day. I wouldn't trade time with my sweetheart of a husband or kids for anything. I just miss my friend.

Well, right now I am going to spend some quality time with Randy who will always be my best friend...with benefits.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow! I'm so glad your family is safe. As contrived as it sounds, it probably will make for a great story to look back on when the kids are older, though. God was definitely with you guys. I hope your weekend got better!

Unknown said...

I glad you guys are all okay! It must have been quite the experience! Thank God you were able to keep your wits about you and make the most of it!

My family would have ended up fighting when I was a kid had that happened to us.

Hope you get to go visit Sally soon!
Love in Christ,
Gidgit

Jana said...

So glad to hear that ya'll survived that ordeal without scars. I can't imagine how scary and frustrating it must have been.

Lots of hugs.