Tuesday, July 04, 2006

A Royal Proclamation

An excerpt from an MSN article on the royal geneology of us all...

"Take King Edward III, who ruled England during the 14th century and had nine children who survived to adulthood. Among his documented descendants are presidents (George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, John Quincy Adams, Zachary Taylor, both Roosevelts), authors (Jane Austen, Lord Byron, Alfred Lord Tennyson, Elizabeth Barrett Browning), generals (Robert E. Lee), scientists (Charles Darwin) and actors (Humphrey Bogart, Audrey Hepburn, Brooke Shields). Some experts estimate that 80 percent of England's present population descends from Edward III."

Why is this interesting? Because Alfred Lord Tennyson is my great, great, great uncle. So, apparently, I am also a descendent of Edward III. Of course, it also means that I am related to virtually all of England. So, actually, if we are all royal, then essentially, none of us are. A nice concept on our country's birthday, don't you think?

Happy Fourth of July to all of you and although I am bleary eyed from staying up late watching the History channel American Revolution specials, I am feeling pretty good on this special day because I LOVE my country and whether it's my late grandfather who commanded a navy ship in World War II, my great times 6 grandfather who fought the British in 1776, or my Cherokee great grandmother, I am proud of my heritage... and whether your family came over on the Mayflower or you are a naturalized citizen, you can be, too.

Oh, and if you're British, well, don't feel bad. We're still family.

1 comment:

Jana said...

Now I'm gonna go around singing "We are fam-ily" all day. LOL

That's some neat statistics, there. I have no idea about my genealogy. I'm only now really starting to work on some of it and so far all I've gotten is a bunch of farmers in Mississippi. lol