Monday, December 05, 2005

Christmas is Coming...

Okay, the Christmas season has begun. I spent all weekend wrapping presents and I am still not even halfway finished. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it immensely, but I am starting to get stressed. I have all the shopping done for the children under the age of 6. It's the teenagers I don't have a clue about. The oldest has such weird taste that I can't bring myself to buy anything he would actually like and since he works at Target, a gift certificate which has been great in the past would be pointless. The 16 y.o. is so precious that she can't bring herself to ask for anything. Only after threatening her with five hand knitted sweaters did she come up with a list...CD's, clothes, and love. Well , I love her dearly but that doesn't make my job any easier. Of course she will appreciate anything, so at least I don't have to worry about her being totally disappointed. The 12 year old is the hardest because she is at that tween age. She doesn't want any more American Girl dolls, but she isn't ready for lots of clothes, either, at least not that we would pick out for her. Hmmm.........that one is going to be tough. If any of you have any ideas, please feel free to share them.

I'm also exhausted from having to plan my family's gatherings. Since my parents are divorced and can hardly stand the sight of each other (yes, it was 28.5 years ago...??) we always have to plan 2 different events. Since my stepdaughters will be with us on Christmas Day this year, it is essential that we stay home. So, I have had to divide up Christmas Eve since my parents can't imagine packing up all the gifts and driving all that way (60 miles). I really felt like saying, "yes I know, try it with two kids" but instead decided to appease them for the sake of peace and goodwill. Anyway, I just plan to go with the flow. I don't mind chaos too much and I actually thrive on it sometimes (which is helpful with 6 kids) so...such is life. Moving on....

The hubby and I were in our church's Christmas program this weekend which is an outdoor, very realistic recreation of Bethlehem and the Nativity. Although we froze our heinies off (34 degrees, windy and dark) and I breathed in more chiminea smoke that I care to in a lifetime, it was a wonderful experience...especially seeing the children's faces as they watch the story they have heard many times unfold before them.

Well, I must go finish addressing Christmas cards. I wish I was this productive year round!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jana, I have a suggestion for the clothes for that 12 year old...
Gift card to Old Navy or The Gap, some place kids shop. Even Wal-Mart is good. She can get whatever she wants and still get a good Christmas gift. Also for the other girls that are hard to shop for. We give Journals and scented candles. Stationary and pens or even little things to help them learn to be creative.
If by any chance one of them is a book worm you could get some great teen reading at your local Christian book store. My teenager collects picture frames, the decorative kind. She has some with faux fur on them and some that are printed with different things. She also loves candles. You could find out what their favorite scent is and go from there.

Hope some of this helps, I know it is hard to buy for them once they reach 12 and we have several between 13 and 21 this year!

Merry Christmas to you!
Gidgit

Jana said...

Ah, the perplexities of gift giving. I'm in a bit of a quandary myself, this year. My niece, the only child I buy for, is six this year and her tastes, likes and dislikes change on a day to day basis, it seems. Then there are my two brothers-in-law, one of whom is relatively new (he and my sister married in June.)What do you buy for two men with vastly different tastes and one you don't know very well? Daddy says to get them tools and the like but neither are very "handy" around the house. Tools would go to rot. I'd give gift cards but seeing as my budget is severly limited, they'd probably snark at the pittance. lol

Mrs. G's ideas are really good ones for your girls, though. I know when I was 12 or even 16, I loved getting stuff like journals and candles and "pretties". ;-) As for the 16-year-old boy, you may just have to close your eyes and buy the stuff he likes and just pretend it's something you like. ;-)

Either way, hope you get all the Christmas shopping and stuff squared away so that it's a joyful time.