Friday, December 09, 2005

Sweet and Sour

Well, today has been a mixture of emotions. It's very cold (25 last night) and my son woke me up at 4 a.m. coughing his head off. So, I went upstairs and sat up with him for a while and finally crawled into bed at 5:30. When the alarm went off an hour later, I had only slept a total of 4 hours. So my husband told me to go back to sleep and he would get Hallie up and take her to school. I drowsily and gratefully agreed and all was well until I was straightening up our bathroom a few hours later. I opened the closet door and realized that all my gifts to my husband were there in plain view. They had been delivered last night right before he got home so I stowed them away in there to hide them quickly. I meant to move them to a more secure location while he and my son were at music, but got distracted cooking and totally forgot. I told myself, "maybe he didn't see them" and called him immediately. Ah, but no such luck. He did. I burst into tears. I couldn't help it. I was so disappointed at my own stupidity and I realized that there was nothing I could do to change it now. So, he tried to console me over the phone and convinced us to meet him for lunch. After I hung up, Ethan came over to me and said "What's the matter? Do you want your daddy?" I said, no, I was just disappointed. So he took my hand and put it to his cheek and said "Oh mommy, I'll make it all better." It was all almost worth it right then and there! While at lunch, I noticed that Randy had my daughter's rainbow "God loves you" bracelet around his wrist. When I questioned him, he said Hallie had asked him to wear it this morning so when he looked at it he would think of her and God and be happy. What a precious family I have! Two loving, compassionate children and a husband more than willing to wear a rainbow bracelet all day long just for his little girl. It's hard to feel down and out with all that going for you.

No comments: